Fire extinguishers are among the items we own that we do not want to use. These devices end up on the wall or at the corner of the room gathering dust.
Firefighting equipment protects people and businesses during fire accidents. It keeps people safe wherever they live and work.
Owning a device such as the powder fire extinguisher or a fire sprinkler system is a form of ensuring safety.
All homes need it just in case a fire starts. It can save our property from burning because the use of the device will help prevent it from spreading and can even stop the flame in no time.
In addition, extinguishers have various advantages. Below are some of them:
- You do not have to buy one every month or every year
- It occupies a small portion of the house
- It is easy to use
- Certain types stop the fire and leave your appliances undamaged.
- It does not require tough maintenance routine.
But, regular inspection and servicing of the equipment meant for the safety of the occupants to the relevant standards is very crucial.
Daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual inspections are done by the fire extinguisher service providers to safeguard the equipment’s working condition and maintain all other facets of fire security management.
This varies according to what the manufacturer tells you. Some powder fire extinguishers will require you to shake its container once a month. Others on the other hand will need maintenance check twice a year.
Trained personnel need to include in the checking of firefighting equipment, which is usually provided by the installer, or the installer’s agent, or even by a servicing organization.
Fire equipment comprises of:
- Fire detection and alarm systems;
- Gaseous, foam and powder extinguishing systems;
- Sprinkler systems;
- Emergency and escape lighting systems;
- Evacuation lifts for persons with disabilities;
- Fire door automatic release mechanisms;
- Portable fire extinguishers;
- Smoke control systems along with pressure differentials;
- Hose reels;
- Fire mains;
- Fire hydrants;
- Fire doors, and so on.
Lastly, do look for more details about fire extinguishers and how to find the best device.